Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Working on this second baby sweater. I had to take the needle out of it yesterday due to a unintentional short row. So, I laid her out for a photograph. This is the Zimmerman "baby surprise" idea, with a modification that has probably been done before.

The basic "surprise" you make the back section from the shoulder to the armpits. Then you make sleeves. Then you knit the second half of one sleeve, the back, then half of the second sleeve together. Then knit back and forth, increasing two stiches at the join in order to make the miter.

My modification is shown here.
I accomplish it by knitting the two sleeves, and make sure that I have an even number or stitches.

I slip the stiches for the back half of one sleeve onto the needle and knit to where the back should begin. Then I use a temporary cast on to add the back stiches, then I knit across half the second sleeve. I then knit back and forth, decreasing two stiches at the back/arm join. It makes this sweet mitered back section, and saves me a bit of seaming.

I'm sure this has been done before.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Well, the needles are working again.

I'm here on a business trip, all my mobility appliances are quietly charging. I used my new Blackberry to photograph miss Fern, who has made it off the chair and is traveling with me. I was able to complete about 18 rows on this trip, and will probably knit on her on the flight home. She's just about 13 inches now, so well on the way to the armholes.

Cast aside for now is a baby surprise that is most of the way done. I'd like to finish that one soon. I'm traveling again next week, so maybe Fern will feel too big to go out, and the baby sweaters will get their time.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hey, I finished it.

Other than me being about 20 pounds too heavy, it's great. Maybe next summer I will wear it around.

And I dragged Fern off the chair, and took her on a business trip. She had been sharing that chair with the dog, and was a bit hairy, but other that that in fine shape. A few minutes to figure out what row we were on, away we went.

Eleven inches on the body. Maybe a picture later.

Friday, October 19, 2007

It's the middle of October, and cooling down enough that I may be able to touch wool again. I wish I could say I have been busy and productive over the summer. Just hasn't happened.

Let's review:

I had a goal to purchase no new yarn, and to make six adult sized stash sweaters this year.

I amended that because of a mothers day yarn purchase, that all the new yarn must be used as well as the six sweaters.

I'm pleased to say that most of the mothers day yarn is gone. The last bits are going into baby sweaters. Here's one that is done, and sleeves are made for the next one.
There are two balls of a mohair mix waiting to become yet another baby sweater. There have been quite a few born recently - mostly boys.

I was also working on a mesh top based on a pattern from the summer Vogue knitting. The parts are done the edging is done, it's a matter of sewing it together and cleaning up the ends.

This would be adult sweater number 4.

Fern is sweater number 5, and I must signed up for the Fall Cables KAL to motivate me to get her back out and done.

Perhaps over the weekend, I can get the mesh top completed, and Fern back in the mix.