Monday, April 18, 2022

Rayon/Cotton Woes

One of the reasons why I tend to be a monogamous knitter is that I often can't figure out what I was thinking if I put a project aside for a while. How long is a while? Well, right now, it appears to be a few months. That is what happened to this tank I started in September of last year. It was put aside because our move out of Houston went into high activity in November. When life settled down some, I had other knitting priorities, like finishing the TKGA program. 

This tank is a continuation of my many year stash down. I've had this yarn in stash since the early 2000's. It is labeled DK, but is really more a worsted gauge. It is shiny, but also really heavy. I've knit it into a few things, then ripped it out as the multicolor pools and I found it cranky in a lot of applications. It is too heavy for a slip stitch top and I don't have enough for a jacket. What to do? 

Oh, Entrelac. Finally, it is beautiful in entrelac. 

Now, what to make? A sleeveless top because I live in Texas and it gets hot here. Top down, as I am unsure how long I can make the thing due to the many partial skeins and lost yarn from past failures.

All was going well, but then it was put aside, took many trips in the car, and for some reason just felt too complicated to pick up and figure out. Some stitches came off the needle, and did not get placed back right, and half the progress had to be ripped, then I spent two days figuring out how I needed to set up the triangles to get the armhole closed up. Then, magically, all was good until my wrist became sore. 

I've put it aside for two weeks, and am working with some wool. My wrist feels better now, so I should pick it up again. Now, I wonder how long and how often should I work on it to prevent my wrist from getting sore again?

I have enough yarn for one more row of the multi-colored yarn after the current row of blue. I have some darker navy that will do for all the edging. A new friend suggested that I work it in an open work pattern if I'm concerned about the length. I think that is a great idea.





No comments: