Tuesday, October 08, 2019

On Schedule Again

Not that it matters, as hardly anyone follows this on and off again knitting blog. Since restarting, I'm trying to post regularly on Tuesdays. Tuesday is garbage day. Tuesday is recycling day. Tuesday is upload photos and write about knitting day. 



As you see, I finished another sweater. It is, as normal, sort of a Frankenstein assembly of parts from other patterns and ideas. Today, I present some notes on my method.

I've really been liking the Norwegian style graphics this year. While cruising on Ravelry, I discovered a load of Sandness patterns that are available for free. This one was shown as a two-color design, but another Raveler, ruthiris,  used three colors and I thought it was really great. So, I did that too.

I have a spreadsheet where I estimate how much yarn I need. I use stitch fiddle to find out the stitch count for a graphic pattern. I weigh completed sweaters so I know about how much a 36" sweater in worsted weighs versus a 40" sweater.

I had three 4 oz balls of this medium blue in stash. It was the largest quantity of my vintage worsted stash left. Naturally, I was searching for the right pattern. I had already decided on some companion colors. I had about 7 ounces of Bernat Sesame in white and some Wool of the Andes that I purchased from KnitPicks. I really liked the hyacinth color and it worked well as a helper yarn with some of my other stash. You can see it in the Inverness sweater from earlier this year.

So, I worked this pattern into my spreadsheet and figured that I did not have quite enough for a 40" sweater, but just enough for 38".  I ended up with less than an ounce so the calculation was really close.

I don't like drop sleeves, so the set in sleeves are courtesy of the Ann Budd grand plan pattern. I knit the sleeves and body in the round to the beginning of the arm holes, then back and forth after that. I do that a lot and it works well. The only seams are the shoulder and the sleeve-to-body.

I just googled the name and found a load of images. Ravelry only has three projects. I didn't think it was such a popular pattern, but I suppose that everyone is not posting on Ravelry after all.

No comments: