Sunday, April 25, 2004

Busy on getting projects finished.

Got serious with the knitting machine, and I thought I finished my blanket. It stretched from the table top down to the floor. Surely it is big enough now. I had may panties in a knot about getting it off the machine so I could take it on my biz trip next week and work in the ends in the hotel. I took it off the needle bed, and found I had a 26" wide 24" long little blanket.

Hmmmmmm.

I wanted this to be crib size; at least 36" long. What happened? Well, knitting machines depend on weight to tension the piece on the needles. The one I use starts you off with a "weighted hem", and these weights really stretch the row gauge out to immeasurable dimensions. One must really be a slave to the gauge swatch, and not only that, the gauge swatch needs a rest before she can be measured.

It looks nice - not county fair quality, as I had some machine mishaps along the way, but ok and colorful.
See?


What to do?

While it is off the needles I'll work in the ends that I have. YIKES! .

Then I'll latch it back onto the needle bed and do another three pattern repeats. That should take me to 26x33. Then off again, and do a 1.5 inch or so garter border, and I'll have 29"x36", which is a respectable crib blanket size, I think.

On reflection, choosing a pattern that generates 60 ends for every 3 inch pattern repeat was a bit more intense for a charity effort than is reasonable. I remind myself that the point was to learn intarsia on this knitting machine, and to develop the skill to be able to make a nice project without going crazy. And, the skills are coming. I need to try and try, then leave it alone for a while. When I come back my body and my subconscious has figured something out, and the three of us can move to the next level.

I've had a lot of issues with the carriage getting stuck, and stitches popping off the needles. I'm not exactly sure what I'm dong differently, but the process is moving smoother. Actually, I know I'm doing a lot of little things differently and the additive result is smoother machine knitting.

Well, off to Baton Rouge for hush puppies, and snips.

Shiloh will have to find another laptop to keep warm until Thursday.



No comments: