Her left front is finished.
The arm as specified is way to narrow at the body join. Now it measures 18 inches instead of the 13 1/2 inches specified. No way was was that going to fit over a T Shirt using the original pattern. I notice on the KAL boards that people are already making this adjustment.
I plan to do the hood in one piece at the end. I'll just leave the hood stiches on their holder until all is together, then pick up along the back neck, and take it from there. The shoulder stiches will also stay on a holder for a three needle bind off. Another minor planning for the finish choice was to use a provisional cast on for the arm, so I had stiches waiting for the grafting, and of course, the three needle bind off for the sleeve.
I actually finished the left front before the New Year, but was so unhappy with the sleeve depth that I ripped it to the sleeve cast on, and doubled the yarn over increases. ( starting a t 9 st from the sleeve/body join, and working every 5 stitches instead of every 10 ) Now, I could have considered ripping another three inches of body so as to keep the cropped profile. Didn't occur to me. Duh. Instead, I have a sweater that will be three inches longer than the model, which is fine too.
Another motivation for the big sleeve rip was that I totally dorked the grafting of the sleeve detail. This weekend, I found a grafting article, and read it about eleven times, and tried again. Turned out way better. So proud I took a picture. You can also see I somehow ended my graft a half stitch off and also see ( and count ) the matched YO increases up the sleeve.
I have found that the cables can look right on one side and wrong on the other side. Don't tell anyone, but there is an incorrect cable cross at the graft line on the inside of the sleeve. Shhhhh...
Now lets' have a cleansing chat about buying yarn off of eBay.
The yarn came from a vintage yarn lot sale during my bad eBay yarn habit. This habit caused my guest room to fill with yarn until it was close to exploding. No pictures; this continues to be truly embarrassing. But I will share my eBay bargain secrets.
My favorite searches were:
wool yarn vintage
wool yarn vintage
wool yarn lot
I found a lot of 50's to 70's era worsted that way. I particularly like the Bear Brand and Bernat "Wool and Shetland Wool" line. This one was a different brand, and I scanned the label because it was so retro. Notice all the different gauge choices, and that there is no yardage anywhere.
After a bit of price comparing, I decided to bid no more than 50 cents per ounce; with shipping that made most purchases about 80cents to a dollar an ounce. I figured that is about half price of comparable worsted. Then Elann launched the Highland Wool line, and that works out to almost the same price. So, if I can get the colors I want, and new to boot. Oh, and it isn't in my closet. I figured, what's the point of used e-bay stuff unless you pay even less than my 50 cents. To my luck, I find I now rarely win bids even at my personal limits. So, no more eBay Yarn habit. Thanks Elann, and thanks you people who bid or price too high.