Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Seed Stitch Baby Sweater

So, here is another contribution to the baby sweater box.

I'm kind of designing on the fly. Seems to work OK since the sweaters are so small, mistakes don't take too much time to pull back and re-do.

I designed this one, but sort of didn't . I started with a seed stitch border, and thought I would move to some sort of slip stitch pattern. I tried a few, and didn't like how the variegated yarn looked in the patterns. So, I just went with the seed stitch flow. When I got to the yoke I went with stripes with a garter stripe. I liked the way it looked on the last project.  I'm pretty happy with the final product.

Now, I'm not designing a gansey the same way.

I've been thinking a lot about how I like basket weave patterns. I had some cotton/acrylic from before 2000; enough for a baby sweater, but not enough for much else. So I started off with some basket weave.

Then I needed a new skein and remembered that the orange cotton/acrylic had come in two types, one plain and the other with chunks of otherness.

Since I didn't do the calculations, I reworked the neck twice and the button bands three times. Finally got it where I wanted.

I could have stayed with basket weave, but thought that the change in yarn type would look unintentional.  So, I made a little border and changed to a different knit purl pattern. I picked another for the sleeves.

When I started the second, I noticed the first had a mistake, so it has to be pulled back and worked again.

Oops.


No comments: