Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Funky Bootie Slippers


As considered last week, August looks to be a month of small projects.

First, some slippers for me. We we moved back into our home I notices that the new porcelain floors were pretty hard and cold. I find now in the summer I'm wearing my sandals inside more that before for the cushion. So, I felt that some felted woolies for my feet would be a good idea.

I decided to try the Drops snow slippers pattern. The pattern looked easy. I could get the gauge with two strands of worsted. I gathered some oddballs and dug in. I used my kitchen scale to decide where the half way point of each skein so that I would have about the same amount for the second bootie. That worked well. The slippers worked up quickly with the double stranding. I was surprised how much yarn they consumed - about 260 grams.

Two cycles in the washer and they shrunk down to size. I really like the thickness and bulk of the finished fabric. What I don't like is the shape of the toe. The shape creates a bump on the top and bottom of the toe that won't felt out. Not good.

Still, not a bust. I think I'll sew on the button and then eventually donate this pair. I've selected some more yarn to work another set but when we get to the decrease 1 each side I'll work in the round and then finish the toe like a sock. I'll also cast on with a provisional method so that I can graft the back together instead of sewing and lose the bulk of that seam as well.

But that project is now on hold. My daughter asked for some baby sweaters. Not for her, but for her friends. She went to several weddings last year and now there are babies on the way. Funny how that works.

In between all of that, I'm about finished with the reknits for the TKGA project. Later this week I'll print out the pages I had to rewrite and check them all again. Then next week, maybe I'll do it again as I did such a poor job the first time.

No comments: