Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Vacation Hangover
I wanna go back to the beach. Waaah.

We came home to an overflow in the A/C pipe, so Monday I got to play plumber and rip up carpet and dry wall. Got stuck in torrential rain while picking up the pets, and a drive that should have taken 20 minutes took over an hour. Shiloh spent the afternoon dancing around in circles, just being happy to be home. GingGong needed to excert control over her life by going in and out and in and out and in and out. Husband left for Peru, and I had heaps of laundry from our nice beach trip. The Gifted/Talented co-ordinater does not have the paperwork she needs for my daughter, so I have to start the public school scavenger hunt. The car needs alignment, and it appears that last month's power steering repair has a problem. The other car needs a safetly check. There are weeds in the front, and oh, yes, two huge work projects that must be done this week. Gaak.

Tuesday was a little better. Still was stuck in traffic for some strange reason on the way home. One of the gals at work took a knitting class, and I've been giving her remedial help on demand. We got together yesterday; she even reserved the conference room so we could work in private. I don't understand how a five week knitting class can only cover knit stitch. Sounded like there were too many people in the class for any attention. She was trying to teach herself purl, and was making the sweetest little twisted stiches. I showed her on her swatch how ever other row looked different. Blinding flash of the obvious, but how did she do it? Then I watched her, and she was taking the yarn under the needle, up and forward then through. I demo'ed how it was supposed to work, and she agonized through a few rows. Poor beginner, she seems to have way too many thumbs. She's stubborn though, so I expect to see her work again in a few weeks. Since she has really gotten knit down, she understands how after a while her hands will take over for her brain. She had also tried seed stitch and had really gotten depressed. Seed stitch is hard if you don't know what you are looking at. I pulled it out, and started her on a nice k2p2 swatch to work after she got the stockette down. I also taught her how to cast off. How do you take a knitting class and not cast off? Yeesh. She wants to make a blanket for a pregnant sister, so she won't have to increase or decrease for about a year as far as I can tell. Good thing too.

So after having a horrible trip home, I grilled a steak and shared it with my daughter. Then curled up with a glass of wine an some baby yarn, and listened to my audio book until my eyes wouldn't stay open. Yawn. I deserved that.

Let's hope today will get better still. Yes?

No comments: