Monday, February 19, 2007

I learned some things with Arwen, but not all what you would think.

I learned how to Kitchener stitch for ribbing.

I learned that more than two projects on the needles makes me crazy.

I went and joined the Dale of Norway KAL, and I was working out that new project, while Arwen and the Elegant Diagonals and a scarf were on the needles. I turned myself into a nutcase. I like to knit, but it is not something that should make me crazy. So, I stopped the Dale, and finished Arwen.

I like two projects on the needles, if I have one that is sort of complicated, or has reached a place where I need to pay attention, or has become too large to travel. This year, I seem to be making a lot of fluffy mohair scarfs. I have been putting a marker on them at 46 inches. Then, I don't have to measure again. If it is even when I fold it in half, it's done. This purple/blue one is folded in half, and as you can see, almost done.

In the mean time, I exploded my yarn stash, and have come up with some other choices for the Dale Hardangervidda. More on that later. Later means after ED is done.

Elegant Diagonals, aka ED, has been chugging along un-photographed for a while now. She has been a good car project the past month or so. I cast on the body in December, and read, "work for 14 inches". That's a lot of ribbing at the gauge that is being worked. I actually cast on Arwen about that time, because I wanted some faster gratification. (18 stitches for 4 inches instead of 26 stitches for 4 inches)

I choose to knit the body in one piece, as I am paranoid about the pieces being different lengths. This pattern has pretty specific shaping, and I wanted it all to match up. It's been quite a slog these past 14 inches, but it is now in a place where I need to pay attention, as the diagonal ribs, and arm shaping are upon me.

Major project D'oh discovered. I put the button holes on the wrong side. This annoys me, but I don't plan to rip it all out because of this error.

Second D'oh was the sleeve caps. I did one of them twice, after reading the directions wrong. Turns out I did them wrong again. So I've ripped back to the cap decreases on both of them, and am working them again.

No comments: